Is Gambling Legal In Australia?
Is Gambling Legal In Australia?
Gambling is immensely favoured in Australia with over 80% of the total population. It has become one of the favourite pastimes of Australians. According to recent data, adults of Australia gamble more than any other country in the world. For decades, the laws of gambling in Australia have been quite liberal.
Earlier, Australian gamblers appreciated almost every kind of gambling. Later on the Interactive Gambling Amendment Bill 2016 was introduced which was the amendment of the Interactive Gambling Act 2001.
Understanding the Interactive Gambling Act 2001 (IGA)
IGA 2001 is the main law that deals with gambling activities in Australia. IGA focus more on web-based or online gambling activities or providers. Under the IGA, it is a crime to provide an illegal interactive gambling service to gamblers of Australia. Interactive gambling refers to gambling activities which take place on online platforms. The act aims to limit the harmful effects of gambling on the Australian community. It targets the service providers, not their actual or potential customers. However, accessing and using gaming services provided by online casinos is not illegal. This means there are no penalties for Australians playing at online casinos.
The Interactive Gambling Amendment Bill 2016 –
Australia’s reform of the rules and regulations relating to gambling has been undertaken for some time. On November 2016, the Interactive Gambling Amendment Bill 2016 was introduced in the Parliament of Australia. The purpose of the bill is to simplify the provisions of IGA regarding illegal gambling. This amendment gave greater powers to the Australian Communications and Media Authority (the ACMA).
Institutions that regulate Gambling in Australia –
Gambling regulations are done on Central and State level, with several regional authorities. The following is the list of all the organizations who control the gambling regulation:
· Australian Capital Territory – ACT Gambling and Racing Commission
· Northern Territory – Licensing commission responsible for licensing gaming machines.
· South Australia – Independent Gambling Authority
· Western Australia – Department of Racing, Gaming, and Liquor
· New South Wales – Office of Liquor, Gaming, and Racing
· Queensland – Office of Liquor and Gaming Regulations
· Tasmania – Tasmanian Gaming Commission
· Victoria – Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulations
What are the most popular Betting in Australia?
The gamblers of Australia are allowed to play bet on various sports, including Horse Racing, Rugby, Cricket, F1 and Football. As per a recent survey, 60% of Australians are interested in Cricket, more than any other game.
Legal Gambling Products in Australia –
· Casino Gambling: Citizens of Australia can access offshore casinos. The offshore casinos operates outside the laws of any country. They can access onshore gambling as well. The online casinos accept local players and offer a variety of games like casino war, the big wheel, etc.
· Slot Machines (Pokies): Online slot machines are completely legal for local players.
· Poker: Poker is one of the popular games among casino players, especially when it comes to Texas Hold.
· Bingo (Housie): Bingo, also known as housie, is now legal in Australia. There are casinos that offer computer-simulated bingo games.
· Sports Betting: It has recently become one of the most popular gaming activities in the country. You can place a variety of bets, including in-game bets. In In-game bets, one can bet on a sport after it has started.
· Lotteries: There are many authorized lotteries that operate in the country. There are also specialized keno outlets in Australia.
Gambling is a great way to have fun alone or in a group. Responsible gaming should always be practised irrespective of their legality. While the laws do control the legality and norms, players and citizens too should also take care from their end.